A Journey Through Time…Rich With Stories
The Jane Addams Recreational Trail
Each journey on the trail is a new story and a new experience with the ever-changing plant life, animals, birds, rock layers and topographic features.
The trail tells the story of man’s history as well, from the Native Americans to the pioneer families to the entrepreneurs who built the mills around which villages and cities grew.
The path, which has seen so much history, has been restored as a source of beauty, nature, exercise and fun.
We invite you to create your own stories as you discover the Jane Addams Trail.
- 17 miles from Tutty’s Crossing Trailhead in downtown Freeport to Wisconsin state line where it connects to the Badger Trail, a 40 mile trail to Madison, Wisconsin. Note that Wisconsin charges a trail admission fee
- 4.1 miles asphalt paved path from Tutty’s Crossing Trailhead to Wes Block Trailhead with two short sections of no-road bike lanes. 10 foot wide, level grade, crushed limestone surface from Wes Block Trailhead to Wisconsin state line.
- 22 bridges including the historic Van Buren Bridge across the Pecatonica River, erected in 1885, and a Covered Bridge outside of Orangeville
- Bordered by the Pecatonica River, Richland Creek and Cedar Creek
- Travels through historic downtown Freeport, the Old River School Historic District Neighborhood, and past natural wetlands, old oak woods, grassland prairies, exposed rock embankments, active farms, and several small communities as well as the Village of Orangeville
- Part of the Grand Illinois Trail that traverses northern Illinois from Lake Michigan to the Mississippi River
September 17, MADONNA RENEWAL CENTER BLUE NUN FUN RUN. Wes Block Trailhead, 2636 W. Fairview Road, Freeport. 7:30 am. 5K Fun Run and Children’s Fun Run/Obstacle Course. Adults: $15; Children (With Paid Adult): $10. (815-291-5431)
September 24, CEDARVILLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY JANE ADDAMS RUN (815-563-4202)
October 1, ORANGEVILLE EDUCATION FOUNDATION 5K TRAIL RUN . Richland Creek Trailhead, 101 N. Ewing Street, Orangeville. 8 am. Join in a 5K run on the Jane Addams Trail to benefit the Orangeville schools. The scenic route follows Richland Creek; it is a flat, out and back course on a crushed limestone surface. Refreshments after the race for participants, plus goody bags. For an entry form, go to www.oeftrailrun.com. Pre-Registration before September 23: $20; Race Day Registration: $25. (815-275-2928)
October 8, PAULINE K. MILLER MEMORIAL BICYCLE RIDE. Jane Addams Trail, Richland Creek Trailhead, 101 N. Ewing Street, Orangeville. Bike Ride Check In: 8 am; Walk Check In: 9 am. Join this ride in memory of Pauline Miller. Choose from a 12.55 mile bicycle ride, a 3 mile walk, or the 1 mile Kid’s Wellness Walk. Events culminate in a Life is Good Celebration and craft sale. All proceeds benefit pancreas cancer research. (309-472-4964)
JANE ADDAMS TRAIL COMMISSSION MEETINGS
Schedule of Meetings for Fiscal Year 2018/2019
Meeting Place: Freeport Park District Administrative Center, 1122 S. Burchard Avenue, Freeport, IL
Time: 5 pm
(Prior to attending, please call 815-235-6114 to confirm meetings)
October 18, 2018
November 15, 2018
December 13 or 20, 2018
January 17, 2019
February 21, 2019
March 21, 2019
April 18, 2019
May 16, 2019
June 20, 2019
For more information contact: Freeport Park District 1122 S. Burchard, P.O. Box 417 Freeport, IL 61032
Trailheads and Parking
- Tutty’s Crossing Trailhead 250 E. Stephenson Street, Freeport. On the banks of the Pecatonica River. Parking, Information, Boat Access, Wes Robinson Memorial Garden (Shelter, Restrooms and other amenities under development)
- Wes Block Trail Access 2636 W. Fairview Road, Freeport. Exit off Illinois Highway 26, 1/4 mile south of the U.S. Highway 20 intersection to Riverside Drive. Follow Riverside past the Baymont Inn and Suites, then right on Heine Road to the trailhead. Parking, Shelter, Restroom
- Cedarville Road 2875 W. Cedarville Road, Freeport. West of Village of Cedarville. Parking 1/8 mile west of Trail, Wayside on Trail
- Red Oak Beaver Road off Red Oak Road. Parking, Portable Restroom in Summer
- Buena Vista, McConnell Road. Parking
- Richland Creek Trailhead, 101 N. Ewing Street, Orangeville. Parking, Shelter, Restroom, Water